Saturday, August 08, 2009

DAY FOUR! (6-20-09)

Woke up this morning at about 5… it’s probably an hour before the sun comes up, but I’m awake because everything keeps making noise. And by everything, I mean the rooster.
This is NOT ok….
Made oatmeal, had coffee, finished some dishes, and organized the food. Then we kind of sat around and were all chatty for a bit, so I decided instead to get around the campsite and get pictures of whatever I didn’t get the day before.
Later, we drove back down to Bungoma to be at Pastor John’s compound. I guess that’s where the office is? I was given the task of beading bracelets, Sharon and Jan went through stuff in the other room, and Brad and Mike and Mark put together gift bags that had scarves, ties, hankies, and seeds. (I guess we’re giving these out later?) The boys were quite persistent that they wouldn’t be helping me make bracelets. “It’s women’s work” I’m told. I’ll be nice to them and keep the my attitude in check… for now.
I would just like to say that by the end of the time at the office, the boys all helped me bead the salvation bracelets! I would also like to note that we probably beaded and cut 1,000 bracelets today.
Had some oranges, bananas, and sombosas. (Samosas? They are little triangular things… imagine an eggroll but filled with beef.) Had a LOT of water… Sharon and I had the opportunity to travel down the road with Pastor Webb. WE checked out the roadside stands, and bought some oranges and papayas. On the way back from the stands, Webb told us about Marti. He led us down one of her favorite roads to walk down, and told us how the community has changed since she was last here. It was very fun! We came across a lady named Nancy, who invited us into her home and let us meet her 3 kids. One of them had malaria, and when she saw us walking down the street she wanted us to come inside and pray for her malaria-stricken daughter. Webb informed Sharon and I that people around here think that a Mzungus prayers are more powerful than theirs, that we’re closer and more favored by God. We layed hands on her daughter and prayed for her- I never did catch her name. It was quite the experience!
Spent most of the rest of the day at the office, and had a pretty quiet ride back to the campsite. There was another cloudless night, so most of us stayed up and just looked at the sky. Brad showed me some astronomy stuff, and we talked a bit about how much fun the astronomy lab is. (I wouldn’t know, haven’t taken the class yet.)
I’m really glad that I got to spend time with Sharon and the team today. Sharon is looking like she’ll be a good friend for me while I’m here, and I’m glad that I’m getting to know my team a little better. I am feeling incredibly like I need to just sit down and shut up for most of this trip, though. That being said, I haven’t hardly spoken to my teammates, just listened to them. I can’t imagine what kind of crazy thoughts they must have of me so far! I don’t think I’ll be opening up to any of them anytime soon- except, as I said, maybe Sharon. Now, the question is, do I still open up to Sharon when she’s going to be leaving in two weeks? She’s and incredible lady and trustworthy as I’ve seen, but what will I do when she’s gone if I open up to her now?
Once again, I’ll just keep my mouth shut and see how this all unfolds…..

No comments: