Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Day 11 6-27

Ahhhh! Toast with red plumb jam for breakfast! Don’t forget the Coffee. It’s my morning addiction. Got to call my mom today that was cool! I’m pretty sure she almost cried. Today we have a busy crusade day- Jim, Brad and I get to teach the kids a play. To be honest, there is such a fear of Christianity here that I’m not too sure that this play thing is going to go so well. As suspected, the kids had a hard time practicing the play. I guess I’m not that great of a teacher (Brad “doesn’t do” plays and Jim pretty much ditched us. So, I got to teach a skit that I’d learned just an hour or so beforehand.) We had all girls in our skit (the boys were too afraid to volunteer themselves) and all they wanted to do was play with the balloons. I get that, I would want to play with the balloons too! The skit was rehearsed a few times, and they were really starting to get it- until we told them that they would be doing this play at the crusade. That was the plan- and it’s what made them all split up in different directions and leave. (The kids weren’t the only ones that left- brad ended up leaving too, along with the translator. I had one of the church members walk me from the church to the crusade site. ) To be completely honest, this whole skit thing was frustrating and by the end I was thoroughly angry. When I got to the crusade site, Sharon was in a clown costume and reading stories to the kids. I sat on the edge of the stage that they’d built for us, and read my bible for a while. It was very refreshing, and put my mind back into perspective. The phrase “it’s not about you” kept getting into my head, and I’m sure I needed to hear it right then. While Sharon was finishing the story, some kids had gathered around me. Some were playing with my hair, and another held my hand and inspected my nails. The translator told me that she was comparing our skin, and it really was her curiosity and joyfulness that helped lift my mood!
We ate lunch at the church; had ugali, bananas, cooked bananas, and sicamowicki (guess what I didn’t eat???). Around 4, Sharon and I talked to 4 of the pastors that were involved in childrens ministry. We discussed lesson ideas, projects, and introduced them to new ways of showing God’s love to the kids. It was so cool because we had to demonstrate the games to them (so that they would understand what things like “duck duck goose” were) and get them involved in playing the games with us! It was an extra special treat because the pastors, especially the men, don’t usually so such things. We showed them different ways to use the 5 senses during their teachings. Sharon did a fantastic job helping the pastors, and I was glad to be there to support her. She and I really made an excellent team!
Afterward, we went back to the compound that we were staying in. It was a good time to shower, and a great time for us girls to sneak some chocolate! Pretty soon, the boys came back from the store, which mean that our times of chocolaty goodness were over and we had to help put groceries away. I got to read a few of my letters (The letters really brighten my day!) before preparing for the crusade. It was really cool outside tonight! We danced and sang, and the pastors made the team come up on the stage and introduce themselves to everyone. It was quite eventful! (I believe this was when Brad videotaped the attendees saying “this is Africa”… it was a great idea, I will have to remember it for another time.) Mark and Jim talked, and both of them had very powerful messages. It is a beautiful thing to see someone humble themselves and let God speak through them.
The highlight of my evening was witnessing a chorus of kids getting saved! I’m sure that when all the kids raised their hands to accept Jesus, the stars sparkled just a bit more! Two of the children asked me to pray for them that night. Edna, a girl who was saved the night prior, requested our whole team to pray for her against the heavy spiritual attacks that she was facing. She was only 18 years old, and was dealing with a lot of pressure. We prayed for her, anointed her, and gave her some words of encouragement. It was late, and I really wanted to walk her over to the revival. Mike was truly a gentleman and offered to go with us, and I’m glad he did. (First of all, I wouldn’t have been allowed to walk her by myself, so if Mike didn’t go then I couldn’t either.) Edna was a bit scared, and made sure that we were on either side of her. It made me happy to know that she felt safe with us, and it made me happier to see the big smile that lit her face when she walked into the revival meeting! Mike and I stayed at the revival for a few minutes during Worship, and went back to the compound to eat dinner. The owners of the compound had treated us to a meal in their home! They served us Chapati (my fave!) rice, avocado, pineapple, potatoes, and fresh milk (straight from the cow!) It was quite delicious. Brad once again brought up the dreaded pink “sippy cup”. He and a few of the other men tried to get me to believe that they had brought the cup with them. Little did they know that I had locked it in my luggage (which was in my tent cot) in Kimikungi. Nice try boys.

No comments: