Monday, November 16, 2009

Day 15, Wednesday, 7-1-09!

Sketchy details today-
I remember clearly that it’s been long, but great!
Had samosas and pineapple for dinner, was interviewed by Brad about my time in Kenya thus far… and I have drafted my plan for the prank I want to pull.
Prank:
I took the wretchedly pink “sippy cup” (oh-so-generously donated by Brad and his unnamed associates) and wrote more snarky stuff on it to compliment Sir Brad’s handywork. My plan is to somehow sneak it into Brad’s carry-on bag before he leaves tomorrow. If everything goes according to plan, he’ll find once he’s onboard the plane and safely out of “retaliation reach”.
I have found today that I’m going to miss Sharon and Brad a lot more that I was supposed to let myself miss them. They somehow snuck their way into my friendship while on this trip. It’s going to make for a heartfelt goodbye on my end. I should also point out that I’m especially thankful for Sharon. She has been my rock, guidance, and confidante on this trip. The last missions that I’ve been on- No one has really been that person for me the way she has. It means a lot that she would care that much. I’m also greatful because I’ll be giving her a letter to deliver to my family once she’s at home. I’m very thankful for the opportunity to write my family a surprise letter, and I think they’ll be excited about it when they see it! Sharon is doing me a huge favor!
Reflecting on today, I can definitely say that I was honored in some very special ways. Today was Webb and Mary’s wedding. They have been “married” for years now, and have kids and grandkids, but today they got married legally under God. It was so cute, they were both nervous about their ceremony! When talking with both of them this morning, I found out that Webb still hasn’t paid his father in law all the cows that are owed for marrying his daughter. Therefore, if Mary’s parents find out about the ceremony, they still have every legal right to stop the wedding until Webb can “cough up the cows”. Before picking up the Bride and Groom at their house, I sat down with Jan, Sharon, and a bunch of church ladies to create decorations from the church. It’s a strict budget wedding, so Jan came up with the idea of making flowers out of tissue paper to use as the bouquets and such. It was an ingenious idea, and I was shocked that they got some of the Manly Men to come help make flowers!
I went with Brad and Mark to go pick up the Bride and Groom. Their house was full of friends and family! I made their grandson cry again (he’s afraid of Mzungu’s) and was honored to talk to Mary before the wedding. I got to talk to her privately for a few minutes. I encouraged her to keep her chin up, remember to smile, and feel blessed that this was what God had for her. I reminded her that Webb loves her dearly, and that she had no reason to be afraid. (The poor thing was shaking from nervousness!) I got to talk to Webb, too, who immediately after hugging me made me sit down and eat food. (Apparently it’s a tradition to feed family before the wedding. He wouldn’t let me say no!) I reminded both the bride and groom to make sure they didn’t lock their legs, that way neither of them passed out. Webb and Mary were placed in separate cars, and away we went! The car that Mary was in got a flat tire about 100 feet from the church! The wedding went well. Our team of 7 was quite honored to all have a place in the ceremony. Jim was the pastor who married Webb and Mary, the men were the groomsmen, and us ladies were some of many bridesmaids. The church cumulatively bought a goat for the newly married couple, and there was much rejoicing as we waved them off to enjoy their honeymoon!
Some members of our team were particularly happy on this day, and their happiness contagiously spread throughout the whole team! I myself was feeling very whimsical, and got Sharon to sing with me in our tent. We helped the church ladies to take down the decorations in the church; and one of my closer African friends informed me that they see a wedding in my near future. I wonder what “near” is to her? I loved what she said, but it was hard to hear such a hopeful prediction of my future when it concerns one of my heart’s truest desires. I was stuck between believing her words of encouragement and guarding myself from being let down. I reminded myself that it’s the Lords will anyway, not mine, and went back about my day.
I should also mention that it rained today- for a long time. I was quite sad because I was hoping to be up on the rock for a few hours. I think God thinks it’s funny when I plan small things like this. ;)

No comments: