Monday, November 16, 2009

thursday, 7-2-09. Day 16. Saying Goodbye...

Good Morning!
Anti-malaria-influenced dreams strike again! Last night’s episode: My aunt telling me I was preggers with twins. Then Jan wakes up and tells me about some named David running around church thinking he’s in love with me. 3 points for waking up to weirdness?
Breakfast was a freshly cut, deliciously zippy pineapple. I’m a little upset today because this is the day that Brad and Sharon go home. I planted the sippy cup into Brad’s carryon luggage. Mike, Mark, and I are going to see Brad and Sharon off at the airport. (that’s a 3-hour, 1 way trip.) We saw one of few female pastors, Pastor Milka, and gave her a ride to Kisumu so she wouldn’t have to wait for the next matatu. I guess she is on her way back to gilgal. After dropping off Pastor Milka in Kisumu, we stopped to go shopping. I did my “pre-shop” that way I knew what I would want for later. We went to lunch (chicken and chapatti!) at the last hotel that we stayed at. I got very self conscious during lunch that day, and I was sure that I was figety or something. We lounged about the hotel for a little longer. Brad talked about his upbringing, and how he came to live in Las Vegas. I was quite surprised, because his story was very similar to my own.
When we made our way back to the Matatu, we noticed the flat tire at the front of the car. Titus, Brad, and Mike changed the tire. (having all three of them on this task made me want to ask the “how many guys does it take to change a lightbulb” joke, but I had a feeling it would have been inappropriate.) They joked around that next time it was Mark and my turn to change the tire.
Brad found the sippy cup hiding in his carryon. Sharon laughed as he threw it in the back of the van (where I was) and laughed harder when I threw it back up to the front of the van (where he was) and nearly hit the driver on the head. We made it to the airport, and Mike was in this rush to drop them off and get back to Kimikungi. I said my bittersweet goodbye’s and hugged both of them. Before we drove off, I took the infamous megaphone and said a very loud farewell to my friends. As we left the airport premises, Mike turned around and handed me the sippy cup. “Brad wanted me to give this to you” he says. I had my 5 minutes of venting before I started coming up with my next devious plan. Brad unknowingly started a waterbottle war!
The rest of the ride home was very quiet. I had the opportunity to sleep a bit in the back seat, but my rest was anything but fruitful. It eventually started to rain, and then grew dark. Driving in Kenya is no walk in the park as it is, and this just made it that much more of an adventure. It was weird eating our cream of potato soup and cornbread with two team members missing. Had some chocolate pieces for dessert, courtesy of Jan.
After dinner, we visited with Protus in his home. He told us that “Cat” in Kiswahili is either puss-puss or paka. (pah-kah). We had our chai tea with Judith, and prepared ourselves for bed. As I reflected upon my day, I was once again hit with the realization that life isn’t fair.

No comments: