Monday, November 16, 2009

Saturday 7-4-09, day 18 happy 4th of july! (well... from kenya.)

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY EVERYONE!
There are no fireworks here, but I hope the rest of you got to enjoy yours!
Our agenda today is to go to the office, visit Protus Wakesa’s house, and make home in time to get some showers in before the rest of our day.
Blame the malaria pills if you wish, but I have been abnormally reflective this morning. I’ve thus far pondered over the more whimsical moments of the crusade, how milk here is so different than in the US (it’s either straight from a cow and boiled, or you can buy it in aluminum style pouches. Some varieties come in mini cardboard containers. Did you know that the milk here doesn’t get refrigerated? I find this odd.) I’ve pondered how we buy our fruits and veggies on the side of the road instead of in the grocery store, why we don’t do that in Vegas, and I’m still trying to figure out how it is that most Kenyan’s have no clue what to do with a carrot. Lastly, I’ve pondered about my experiences here and am wondering if I am even remotely capable of explaining these things to you. I suppose it’s much like explaining the joy of God to someone who has never heard his name- it’s not something you explain, it’s something you live. I’ll have to explore these thoughts another time and see where they take me.
God blessed me with great dreams last night that have left me in a wonderfully joyous state this morning! Had oatmeal and toast for breakfast this morning, which led me to another pondering: why is it that I only ever eat breakfast on mission trips? When I’m at home, I don’t eat anything this soon after waking up. I let Jan listen to some of my music today. I don’t know if she really did like it or if she was being nice, because I know that some of the songs I love don’t appeal to very many people.
Jan and I went to Protus Wakesa’s house today. He has this adorable, spitfire of a little girl who’s name is Nancy, and let me tell you she has the biggest smile I have ever seen! She is about 3 years old, and when you tickle her she has the most contagious laughter! I felt an immediate connection with this child and played with her almost the whole time I was at Protus’s house! I think what fascinates me most about Nancy is that she is OK. Protus is raising her and her brother and sister (both of who are 7 and older) by himself. His wife left him a few years ago to go and live her life and get a job. Most men in Kenya, when their wife leaves the family, will no longer feel a responsibility toward their family, which is one of many reasons that children become orphans. For Protus to stick around and raise his kids by himself is the mark of a Godly Man, and is indeed a very rare trait in Kenya. Protus has no permanent job, but has been blessed by the generosity of God for providing enough side jobs for him to feed his kids. He is also blessed by a very helpful family- his mother helps him a lot, as do his neighbors. He still does crusades with Protus Onchana and Titus, and gives what little he has right back to God. When Jan and I visited his home, there was a coffee table full of food! His neighbors generously made food for Protus to provide to us, as is the customary thing to do for a guest in your house. There was chapatti, chicken stew, rice, pineapple, oranges, coke, orange soda, orange cream “American style” cookies, and bananas.
Jan and I spent a good 3 hours at Protus’s house. We met his family and some of his neighbors. He gave us a tour of his house, and showed us pictures from when the house was built. He walked us around the field where his crops are growing and the hole that has been dug so that he can build his own bathroom instead of having to use a public one. He led us back inside so that we may play with the kids a little more before leaving. I happened to have the translation book that Brad bought for me when he was here, and Jan used that to help one of the neighbors’ kids practice his English. (the other kids were too shy to try and speak English to English speaking people! It was adorable!)
We were picked up by Jim and taken back to the office. We started to watch Hotel Rwanda but had to come back home for dinner in Kimikungi. Mark made Cajun style chicken and potatoes, with a chicken/onion gravy. (Mark is quite the cook- he says he does the cooking so he won’t have to do the dishes.) I was thankful to be able to take some time for myself and went up to my “hiding place” on the rock. I prayed about God’s will for my life, for while I’m in Kenya, and for the families that I had come across today. I had the small luxury of viewing the most beautiful sunset, and then turning around to see a bright, full moon that had a bright halo around it. I got lost in the sky for a few minutes… God was reminding me that my worries could be set aside, that he was right here with me, watching me and preparing me for His plans. It was the most at-peace I had felt all day. As I watched the stars start to peek out from behind the clouds, I wondered how a God so amazing and able to create such an intricate and beautiful world could have any interest in myself. I was reminded of my unworthy state. I voiced to God my concerns and the things that I am thankful for.
Later, I played some Frisbee with Zippy, Junior, and Senior (and some of their school friends). I helped do the dishes, and am now ready to go to sleep. Before I leave for bed, Jim tells me that he got a text from Brad. They’re flight was an hour late arriving in America. Sharon took the first, immediate flight home, and Brad decided to spend a few hours in New York City. Sir Bradley wished to inform us that he was eating a New York Style Pizza in our honor. Half a world away, my friends can still make me laugh. Needless to say, I was thankful for the envy-sparking fun news right before bed, it’s sure to help me sleep well!

No comments: