Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Friday, 7-24-09 Day 38

Malaria Pills give you such cool dreams! Last nights’ starred my brother and I. We were secret agents that blew up some guys’ hotel because he stole someone’s calf. Quite odd, but I woke up feeling like a superhero!
By the time I got to the dining hall, they were starting to serve breakfast. I let the main crowd have their way with the buffet table while I had my way with my very delicious coffee. Toast, eggs, and cheap cornflakes were on the menu. I wasn’t very impressed with the food, but I’m glad it was edible.
We left Nakuru (where the hotel was) by 9:00, and I tried to get some shut eye in the van until we stopped in Eldorat. We had coffee there, which kept me awake for the rest of the trip. We stopped once more on the side of the road because there was a huge Equator sign! (forget that we have already crossed the equator 15 times on this trip- this time there is a sign involved!) There was a tourist shack set up right next to the equator sign, where you could get “official Equator Crossing Certificates”. It was pretty awesome, and I bought a certificate just because of the ingenuity of the shack owner for creating them!
We were back on the road in no time, and before long we were back in Bungoma. We ate at the Coffee Garden, and were very disappointed to find that they were out of samosas! I had chips and chapatti instead. Afterward, we walked to the internet café to send e-mails to our family, and went to shariffs to shop for food for the next 2 days.
We had such a nice welcome home back to Kimikungi! I found out that Judith had a slip made for me (along with some of the other ladies, and the wives of the gentleman on our trip, Save Brad.) Judith blessed me by giving me a slip with purple trim, as opposed to the all white slips given to the other ladies. It was such a wonderful gift!
Titus had arranged for one of his employees to bring items from his store down to Kimikungi, so that we would have a chance to shop at his store before we left back to America. (We didn’t have time to go to his store before the end of our trip.) Later on, I went with Protus, Titus, and Evan (Titus’s employee) to watch Pastor Webb preach down the street. It took only 2 minutes to go down the street where Webb was, and in that 2 minutes it had started to rain! (not an uncommon thing, but still slightly aggravating when you are trying to preach outside.) It was good that we brought the van with us instead of walking, because we immediately had to load up the sound equipment. (I got to help by making sure none of the precariously placed speakers fell over.) The crusade was moved from the streets to the church. Protus and Titus, being the gentleman that they are, dropped us off at our tents before taking the sound equipment to the church. It was very considerate of them. Later in the evening, I was treated to watching another thunderstorm. (Thunderstorms are so awesome!) In the middle of it all, Jim needed to go into town, so I decided to go with him. (Just because I could, of course!)
Jim and I decided to grab dinner before heading back to the office. We went to Shariffs since it’s the only place (other than the “club”) that is open at night. There we met another Mzungu, who’s name I think was York. (“Just like New York, but without the new” he told us.) He was from Germany, and was cycling from Cairo to South Africa to “help find himself”. He was quite an entertaining gentleman, and it was fun talking to him. When we got to the office, I made the guard laugh because I couldn’t figure out how to unlock the gate in the dark, and when I dropped the lock, it made a ridiculously loud noise. The guard came to my rescue, laughing along the way. I’m sure he’s going to be telling someone a story tomorrow about the crazy mzungu girl who can’t figure out how to open a gate!
Not much happened after this. Jim finished all that he needed to do, and I hung out and charged my Ipod. We got home to find that Jan had gone to bed, Mark and Mike were still sitting around the Jiko making fun of each other, and the dishes were already done. (Woo-hoo for me on that one, I’m the dish girl lately!) I stayed up for a few minutes with Mike and Mark before hitting the hay myself.

No comments: