Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Sunday, 7-26-09 Day 40

This morning was a little difficult. It’s day 40, and we are almost ready to go home. This is our last Sunday here in Kenya, which is bittersweet.
We started our morning with toast, eggs, coffee, and pineapple. Jim taught church this morning, and all of us got a chance to go up on stage and say our goodbyes. After service, one of the church elders (Rose) wanted me to come over to her house “right now”. She was a little scary- a very upfront, bold person who does NOT take no for an answer. She didn’t understand that I couldn’t go to her house today, and wouldn’t accept my polite declination, so I had to step back and let Protus handle it.
I went to town with Mike and Mark (Mike drove! Ah!), where we had Samosas and Chapati for lunch at The Coffee Garden. We went to Shariffs to do a bit of shopping; and I bought 4 new mugs for Judith to replace the one that I broke. (I hope she likes them.) When we came back home, Protus tried to pick a fight with me about buying new mugs, and telling me that it wasn’t necessary and that I needed to return them. I wasn’t about to back down and I told Protus, specifically, not to worry about it and just say thank you! He told me that I shouldn’t have bought the mugs, and asked how much they were. I told him not to worry about it, and threw the price tags away. He dug them out of the trash, and I chased him around to get the price tag back from him (for about 10 mintues) like a highschooler. It was fun banter, and he never did look at the price!
The team walked down to the crusade (again held right down the street.) Webb was on the stage at this time, and his whole family was there to support him. I hung out with his daughter, mainly. Her name is Emma, and she is 25 years old. It is her son that keeps crying whenever Mzungu’s are around! (speaking of which, people have really gotten a kick out of my “Mzungu” shirt! I wore it on Sunday!)
The crusade was great! Webb thinks that I should go and dance with the girls, because I have very loose shoulders (they mainly dance with their shoulders in this part of Kenya.) Many were saved today, and many more were reassured of their faith.
The team had PB&J for dinner. Later that evening, I went to the church, where I learned some keyboard stuff from Job (who is quite gifted!) We had a conversation about different worship styles. He asked questions about how we worship in America, and how worship is done in Panama. Trying to explain how the singing was different was the hardest part- and eventually he suckered me into singing so that he can hear the difference. I was a little embarrassed because I don’t make a habbit out of singing in front of other people, but Job (and the 3 other guys that were helping with the instruments) said I sounded “like an angel”. It wasn’t long before the instruments were finished being set up for the revival service that was taking place tonight. A movie was going to be shown after doing a few worship songs. I was told that many “different” kinds of people would be showing up at this service, there was extra security around for the sake of Jan and I. It’s just another reminder of how welcomed and loved we are here! Judith assigned me the job of taking tea to Protus while he was setting up the movie. Afterward, Judith and I had our own tea, and another chance to sit and talk to each other. She got her hair redone today, and was showing me her braids and the red pieces that hey braided into her hair. She is very excited about it, and it looks beautiful as always! She told me that she loves her new cups, which made me very happy! Now… Lala Salama! Sleep well!

No comments: